Button envy x

20130921-092038.jpg

I have seen these around on Pinterest and wanted to make one and what better excuse than when a friend has a baby! And I love giving a handmade gift!
I thought I had it sussed, but then things always crop up! I knew the colour theme of the babies room and had this material leftover from a dress- lovely I thought for a baby! And I now it’s a pain, creases so easily but figured if I glue the fabric to a more substantial piece underneath. The first attempt really discoloured the fabric and so I sprayed glue around the outside of the fabric just to hold in place as I stitched the buttons on. I have noticed people just glue them on but I wanted to stitch them as I think it looks neater, next time I would use an embroidery hoop for this!
The main problem I had was when I came to remove the fabric ink I used to outline the letter! I should have just dabbed with a wet sponge on a small area but sprayed water over the material and this made the pain in the backside material crease to high heaven! Which was fine to iron out around the edge of the letter but you maybe noticed, it’s not creased but wrinkly in the middle….where the iron would not fit!

I understand why people create button monogram on readily stretched material…,, a canvas or in an embroidery hoop! So I know it’s not perfect and I’m sure I will get better but really like the frame and the girly outcome to go in Gabriella’s room…., if her mum n dad like it!!!

Advertisements

A work in progress!

First of all let me apologise for being so slack in posting over the past few weeks but life has been a little crazy with school starting again, swimming lessons starting and ooooo twitter (fun!!! Yes I know I should have got on it ages ago!).

But even though it has been somewhat busy there has been progress on the Robson coat! I will be honest I have only been attacking it whilst at sewing bee and to be honest I’m glad as I have had a few helping hands with fitting! I pulled the bust in slightly and so it threw off the lay of the flaps! (sounds a bit funny…..) so was really grateful to have a spare pair of hands to pin me!

Fingers crossed….I have a pretty quiet Saturday so am aiming to get it …..nearly ……finished!

And here’s the buttons I chose, so very excited to get cracking and wearing my fabulous purple Robson mac!

20130919-214227.jpg

20130919-214237.jpg

20130920-050532.jpg

Buttons!

After spending about 2 hours on etsy I eventually decided on the buttons I wanted for my many coats!
The stars for khaki anise and trees….these were the most expensive but I luuuuuurve them!!!!!! For what I consider teal material anise! And pretty little flowers for my girly purple Robson mac! Love it!!!

Very happy with my choices and the lady I bought them from Lyanwood and the fact they turned up in around a week from Hong Kong! I have now ordered some jewellery from etsy for a present ( not to myself unfortunately) I have a feeling the sellers are more conscientious and bothered about their customers!!!

20130919-181357.jpg

20130919-181452.jpg

20130919-181516.jpg

Sorry about the photos! Posted this from my phone 😏

Check me out….on twitter!

It’s all been a bit quiet since school went back….as many of you teacher bloggers will know…first few weeks back…. time is short and blogging is few and far between! But I am still stitching and want to be able to report on what’s going on so I have started up on twitter (have previously been on their as fluffysheep). If you’re up to see what goes on a….hmmmm…daily basis – I’ll give it a shot!!!!

@cottonheiress on twitter!

And so it has begun….. the Robson Coat!

Well summer is over….the return to work has occurred, the summer dresses are stashed in the wardrobe and it’s time to start making these many jackets I have lined up!
So at the weekend I took the opportunity of staying home…..and starting the Robson coat! It is a long process!

A shell of a coat!

A shell of a coat!

I’m finding binding the seams is the biggest faff but totally understand why it is done as it saves lining, looks so much neater, quite a funky finish and in my case save the material from fraying anymore! With respect to the fraying fabric….. Oh my the mess! If there were purple dogs or sheep in the world I would say one just got slaughtered in my living room!

A lot of hoovering throughout the weekend!

A lot of hoovering throughout the weekend!

I have already learnt quite a lot from this unfinished project;

1- I need to take more care and time using binding! or buy wider binding – this would probably be the easiest option!
2 – trim the seams more.

IMG_2199
3 – pay attention to where your notches are Miss Caroline! I lined up the pockets with the wrong notches (very easily done with this overly fraying material) and had pockets half way down my legs! Subsequently lots of unpicking and rearranging/ restitching!

IMG_2195
4- Press using a wet pillow case for super flatness of thick fabric!
5 – walk away!!!!! When I get abit frustrated I have to just put it all away, hoover up and do something else till tomorrow…..otherwise I’d have thrown the whole coat in the bin!
and I want to say use the size down for Sewaholic patterns… but can’t really give a confirmation on that until I’m finished! I’ve already taken in the back seams and adapted the bust line….so I do feel this size (the size I’ve discovered generally I do use on patterns – not telling you what it is 😉 ) is too big for me! Now I’m wondering about Colette patterns for the Anise as it was mentioned to me it’s a good idea to go a size smaller.

Also this is a very long coat for me, so I will be taking it up too!

Watch this space for the finished coat….or take bets on how long it’s going to be until it’s finished!!! hmmmmm we could still be here at Christmas!

xx