Well summer is over….the return to work has occurred, the summer dresses are stashed in the wardrobe and it’s time to start making these many jackets I have lined up!
So at the weekend I took the opportunity of staying home…..and starting the Robson coat! It is a long process!
I’m finding binding the seams is the biggest faff but totally understand why it is done as it saves lining, looks so much neater, quite a funky finish and in my case save the material from fraying anymore! With respect to the fraying fabric….. Oh my the mess! If there were purple dogs or sheep in the world I would say one just got slaughtered in my living room!
I have already learnt quite a lot from this unfinished project;
1- I need to take more care and time using binding! or buy wider binding – this would probably be the easiest option!
2 – trim the seams more.
3 – pay attention to where your notches are Miss Caroline! I lined up the pockets with the wrong notches (very easily done with this overly fraying material) and had pockets half way down my legs! Subsequently lots of unpicking and rearranging/ restitching!
4- Press using a wet pillow case for super flatness of thick fabric!
5 – walk away!!!!! When I get abit frustrated I have to just put it all away, hoover up and do something else till tomorrow…..otherwise I’d have thrown the whole coat in the bin!
and I want to say use the size down for Sewaholic patterns… but can’t really give a confirmation on that until I’m finished! I’ve already taken in the back seams and adapted the bust line….so I do feel this size (the size I’ve discovered generally I do use on patterns – not telling you what it is 😉 ) is too big for me! Now I’m wondering about Colette patterns for the Anise as it was mentioned to me it’s a good idea to go a size smaller.
Also this is a very long coat for me, so I will be taking it up too!
Watch this space for the finished coat….or take bets on how long it’s going to be until it’s finished!!! hmmmmm we could still be here at Christmas!