Snow days indeed!!!! Bring them on more oftern……preferably in winter tho! I have hads a very productive two days hanging out in the house with my boy! In between the playing with trains, watching cars and Disney Jnr, baking bread, building a snowman and a snowdog, playing spiderman (with Fin dressed in suit) and catching up on Merlin…. I have managed to sew a dress (still waiting to do the neck and arm binding…. I ain’t superwoman ;-)) and completing a skirt, which Im very excited about……in fact Im really excited about both of them!
The dress. (I will post the pic tomorrow after I have finished!)
I based this on a dress I already own. I love the pattern and colour of the material and thought it would fall lovely, like the other dress.
The pattern was literally an aline from the bust down based on the width of the dress i already own and an inch seam allowance for the french seams. I did keep trying the dress on at every stage, so, straps, which i took up, took it in under the arms and dipped the neckline ……love making my own clothes, getting them to fit just as I want….eeeek!!! (I’m such a girl!) I then decided where I wanted the waist to cinch in and pinned about 1.5inch lower (to get a bit of a slouch). Got a thin piece of elastic (about 5mm) and used the long stitch stretching the elastic through the waistline as I sewed.
With two new skills – making pockets and using interfacing.
Now this has been 2 skirts today, starting at the hips and then I took the decision to make a waisted skirt. I’m usually quite dubious of waisted skirts as I think they can Make me look big! But as I seem to have shrunk my waist a little in recent weeks…….another girly eeek! (and all because I started sewing and wanted the clothes I made to fit me better) I thought sod it! so after a bit of unpicking, chopping and resewing! This was the outcome. Roll on the warmer weather to wear it!
The decision for this pattern was from some inspiration off other blogs. Tilly and the Buttons ‘Picnic Blanket Skirt’ and Sweet Verbena colour block dress mashup!
This isn’t a tutorial, so much as a run through as Ididnt follow a tutorial but did use other people’s concepts and etiquette wise, don’t want to annoy anyone…..not sure how this sort of thing really works yet.
I cut the waist band (originally with my hip measurements) a block of the orangey colour and a slimmer block of the stone to make up the length I wanted and seam allowance of around half an inch. I stitched the blocks of colour together, put on the pockets and stitched the side seams (including going around the pockets), put the interfacing on one half of the waistband (iron and wet cloth). Then I long stitched the top edge of the orange material and adjusted it to the waistband, stitched the skirt to the inside edge of the waistband leaving enough material to insert the zipper. Zipper in and folded the waistband over and stitched.
To the change it to a waister i unpicked the side seam without the zip, leaving one side of the pocket attached, cut through the waistband. Then repinned the waistband, side seam and stitched avoiding the pocket, then restitched around the pocket.
I think I may even wear it with grey tights and brown boots if the weather stays so dreary!
Also managed to finish the binding on this top which has been hanging around for weeks, so I could have a practice on a few other things first. I love this fabric and wanted it to be something I could wear.
Well its been a busy old day. Fin fell asleep at 5 and is now in bed (it’s going to be an early morning), but in the time he was on the sofa I started yet another skirt…..from a pattern……another first!!!! So will post it tomorrow when its hemmed!
I’m off to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To start again tomo! I really don’t spend my life sewing……honest……it’s just been one of those days!